Sunday 5 February 2012

Rig issues

Whilst working on this module, particularly the song sequence, I encountered a few rig issues. The Malcolm rig I've been using is a great rig, very expressive, I've yet to explore it's full potential, and honestly, this is the first time I've encountered problems.


Malcolm's limbs have added controllers, to allow the animator to and a little extra bend and stretch when needed, depending on the style of the scene. However, i found they would just bend and often get lift behind, sort of trail behind the rest of the arm.


Fortunately, I was able to key these rogue controllers back into place, but it's certainly an issue I'll have to look out for in the future. I'll look for a permanent fix should it happen again. Another issue I came across was a bit of leg wobble. In the above clip, you'll notice the knees sort of, jiggle as he comes to a stop. Now, the legs are animated using an IK hierarchy, at no point were any keys set for the knees. The problem seemed unsolvable, even switching to an FK hierarchy and manually keying the knees didn't work, the knees remained locked in position, almost like they were linked to another part of the rig that I was unaware of. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a solution. Looking over the support forums set up by the rigs makers proved fruitless too, hopefully this is just a one off bug, and it won't disrupt any further work.

No comments:

Post a Comment