Friday 3 February 2012

Guitar Reference

Coming from a musical family, acquiring reference for a guitar player was no problem. My dad was more than happy to oblige.

YouTube Video


YouTube Video


YouTube Video

Right from the off, I wanted the strumming hand to be a point of interest, with lots of secondary motion. Not too much, as the videos show, there is still a lot of tension in the guitarists fingers, in order to effectively pluck the instruments strings. However, I do want to exaggerate it a bit. My dad's technique relies on strumming with his wrist, he's more of a technical guitarist, lots of fast, complex melodies, than a rhythm guitarist, or casual strummer. I think I'll have my guitarist strum more with his elbow, and the wrist, fingers, and most importantly his thumb, will follow through. Not too much, as the thumb will be plucking the strings.


The thumb and wrist motion will move in a sort of oscillating motion, think of the piston arm driving a train wheel. Hopefully this will create a interesting strumming pattern, exaggerated, but not so exaggerated as the not look believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment