Monday 7 May 2012

The pro - 11 second club

Well, here's what I managed to get done. I'm not at all happy with it. It started out well enough, but I think some parts are overworked, others not polished enough, and that passing of the helmet, ew. I think I took the piece into spline way too early. I only spent a day or so in linear mode, to try and speed production, but looking back, that was a bad idea, resulting in some pretty floaty animation, especially from the pro character. I think she wobbles about too much whilst sorting her various effects, what looked fine in real time looks rather off putting when rendered out. As for the Mrs. Crawley character, I prefer how she turned out. It's not perfect, but I feel she reacts suitably to the Pro, but without stealing too much attention. I had real trouble with setting up constraints. I don't know if I must had a mental block, or was stuck in my Softimage frame of mind, but it too, way longer than it should have to get them sorted, resulting in that really ugly, passing of the helmet, and the Pro consequently putting on the helmet. The helmet just slides and wobbles all over the place, I found it really hard to pin it down, even with constraints. The passing of the broach doesn't look so bad, but I think it's small size hides a multitude of sins. From the initial blocking, I thought the ending where the pro skates off, followed by the camera, was too jarring, so I decided to for go it, but now, the entire piece, just looks empty, and boring. Especially with the lack of a proper set. All in all, I'd call the piece unfinished, and to be honest, i'd rather scrap it and start over, but it's time to move on to the next module. This piece isn't one I'd like to include on a showreel, and it's a shame, it started out with such promise. Over the course of the Acting for Animators module, I've learnt an awful lot, not just animation, but about myself. It's been a trying few months, and I've fallen into a lot of traps regards work, lifestyle, and in my own well being. Thankfully, having talked to lecturers, friends, even a doctor, I'm hopefully I can get my mind back in the game for the upcoming final project. I think the best thing to do is to just pick myself up, take what i've learnt, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment