Wednesday 2 May 2012

David OReilly

I'm ashamed to say that I only recently discovered David OReilly. Multi award winning, his animations are probably some of the most surreal I've beer seen, and boy do I like them! The External World !WARNING NSFW!

The External World from David OReilly on Vimeo.

I think what attracts me most to OReilly's work, is the fact his style pushes for a very unique aesthetic, that can only be achieved through the 3D CG medium, instead of trying to emulate reality, or even other more traditional styles. His strange, surreal, even twisted sense of humour appeals to me too, I admit, I've been stuck in a bit of a rut when it comes to film ideas, keeping to the conventional, and generally tame, but why not go wild like this? After all, what other film medium gives as much freedom to do so like animation? Please Say Something !BAD LANGUAGE!

Please Say Something from David OReilly on Vimeo.

OReilly's ballsy approach to film making has certainly gotten him noticed, clocking up over 80 awards for his films and contributions to the animation community. He's even directed a music video for the rock band U2. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment